The Power of Positive Talk
The Power of Positive Talk is a book that teaches children self-esteem through the affirmation process. It is a guide that can be used by parents, teachers and counselors to instruct children in how to speak kindly and lovingly to themselves.
"The Power of Positive Talk" also includes sections that show adult caregivers how to release their own negative self-talk so that they can model positive self-talk for children in their lives.
What others are saying about this book...
“This is a worthwhile book for many families who can use these very practical techniques in helping to raise children with positive self-esteem. Bloch's book is equally helpful for teachers and others who spend their days working with children and want to encourage healthy development.”
-Alvin F. Poussaint, M.D. Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
“Here is a great opportunity to help children think like winners.”
-Jim Fay, author of "Parenting with Love and Logic"
“The authors send a clear message - words can wound or words can promote self-esteem and well being.”
-Thomas Gordon, author of "PET: Parent Effectiveness Training"
Table of Contents
How to Use This Book
Affirmation Subject Index
PART ONE: THE POWER OF THE SPOKEN WORD
1. Sticks and Stones Will Break My Bones, But Words Will Wound Me Forever
2. Affirmations: The Power of Positive Speaking
3. Introducing Positive Self-Talk to Children
4. Positive Self-Talk For the Adult Caregiver
Positive Self-Talk for Parents
Breaking the Cycle of Verbal Abuse: Stop Using Words That Hurt
Positive Self-Talk for Teachers and Counselors
PART TWO: POSITIVE SELF-TALK
SELF-ESTEEM AND EMOTIONAL WELL BEING
5. General Affirmations For Self-Esteem
6. Positive Self-Talk for Health, Body Image and Athletic Performance
7. Positive Self-Talk for Learning and Academics
8. What to Say When You Are Scared: Positive Self-Talk for Childhood Fears
9. What to Say When You Are Sad: Positive Self-Talk for Loss and Divorce
10. What to Say When You Are Mad: Positive Self-Talk for Anger Management
11. What to Say When You Are Teased: Positive Self-Talk for
Responding to Put Downs
PART THREE : AFFIRMATIONS FOR
SPECIFIC DEVELOPMENTAL STAGES
12. Prenatal Affirmations
13. Affirming the Infant (0-9 months)
14. Affirming the Toddler (age 9 months-2 1/2 years)
15. Affirming the Preschooler (age 2 1/2-6 years)
16. Affirming the School-Age Child (age 6-Puberty)
17. Affirming the Adolescent
PART FOUR: POSITIVE SELF-TALK FOR
CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
18. Positive Self-Talk for the Child With a Physical, Emotional, or Learning Disability
19. Positive Self-Talk for the Child From a Chemically Dependent Family
20. Positive Self-Talk for the Abused Child
21. Positive Self-Talk for the At-Risk and Acting Out Child
22. Positive Self-Talk for the Adopted and Foster Child
Order this book through Amazon.com now!
(Price may be less on Amazon.)
click here for a printable order form.
Goods and services provided by Pallas Communications (OR, United States). Sold by 2CheckOut.com Inc. (Ohio, USA).
Other fine books from Douglas Bloch